Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I pay my taxes, so why is my road in such bad shape?
A. No part of your property tax goes to pay for work on your road.  Road work is funded through fuel taxes and grants, for the most part.

Q. I didn't get my statement, so why must I pay late penalties and/or fees?
A. S
tate law states specifically that failure to receive your statement does not relieve you of the responsibility for paying your taxes on time.  You as the taxpayer are responsible for making sure everything is paid timely.  As Treasurer, I am specifically prohibited from waiving penalty because you did not receive your tax statement.

Q. Who determines the value for my property?
A. The County Assessor's office sets the "appraised"  or "market" value for your property.

Q. Do I pay on the full market value of my property?
A. No. Oklahoma does not tax full value, but a percentage of your market value as determined by the County Assessor.  This percentage value is referred to as your "Assessed Value".

Q. How is my "Assessed Value" determined, and by whom?
A. Right now, the County Assessor's office takes their "appraised" or "market" value for your real property, and multiplies it by an "Assessment Ratio" or Assessment Percentage" of eleven percent (11%) to get to your "Assessed Value."  This percentage can be different in different counties, must be between 11% and 13.5%, and is totally up to your County Assessor.

Q. What is Bryan County's "Assessment Ratio" or "Assessment Percentage"?
A. Currently, Bryan County is at the lowest assessment ratio for real property (11%), and personal property has a ratio of 13%.

Q. Does my "Market Value" show on my tax statement?
A. No, only the Gross Assessed Value and the Net Assessed Value show on your tax statement. 

Q. What is a "Tax Levy" or "Tax Rate" or "Tax Millage", and from where does it come?
A. The tax levy is the amount that is multiplied by your "Net Assessed Value" to arrive at the dollar amount of tax you must pay, and is shown on each tax statement you receive.  Different parts of your "Tax Levy" come from different places.  The Constitution sets some, various statutes set some, and every bond issue which the voters of a school district pass help the County Excise Board set the tax levy for your school district.  Constitutional or statutory levies do not change from year to year.  Bond issue levies--shown as "Sinking Fund" on your statement--are computed from your school district's budget, and approved by the County Excise Board each year.

Q. Does my "Tax Levy" show on my statement?
A. Yes, the total tax levy is shown, and then you also get a breakdown of the taxing entities who are receiving your money, how many "mills" are levied for that taxing entity, and how many actual dollars OF THAT PARTICULAR tax statement are going to each taxing entity.

Q. What is a "mill"?
A. A mill is one/one-thousandth of a dollar.  The tax levy is often referred to as "millage" or as being so many "mills".    There used to be mills issued and used--token-like coins with holes in the middle, some with specific uses.  For many people, it is easier to think of your tax rate as being so many dollars of tax for every $1,000 dollars of "Assessed Value" than to think of it being so many mills.

Q. How much of the tax I pay goes to the County?
A. The Bryan County government budget is run from a levy of 10.22 mills, which is approximately 11-12% of your total tax bill.    

Q. What do the other entities receive?
A. The Independent School District in which the property is located receives 65% to 75% of the money, with the Kiamichi Career Tech Center receiving around 12%, then EMS approximately 6% and County Health around 5%.  These are just estimates, and percentages vary some by each school district.

Q. Why do I have to pay school taxes when I don't have children in school?
A. Oklahoma chose many years ago to fund their schools by property taxes.  So, everyone pays them, regardless of whether you have children in school or not.

Q. What type of exemptions are offered in Oklahoma?
A. All exemptions are handled by the Bryan County Assessor's office, and you should contact them at 580-924-2166 for more specific information about exemptions.

Q. What are all these names and numbers that show on my tax statement?
A. Your tax statement shows you a breakdown of how the tax amount on that statement is being divided up--where your money goes.

Example of Tax Statement Breakdown

  • Property in Durant School District and within Durant city limits.
  • Tax year 2014.
  • Tax amount $235.00.
  • Tax rate 89.7100 mills.
School District Name of Taxing Entity/Fund Mills Amount of This Statement That Goes
to Each Taxing Entity/Fund
Durant Cty I-72 COUNTY4MILL 4.09 $10.71
Durant Cty I-72 COUNTY GENERAL 10.22 $26.77
Durant Cty I-72 COUNTY HEALTH 2.56 $6.71
Durant Cty I-72 EMS 3.07 $8.04
Durant Cty I-72 SCHDISTBULDING 5.07 $13.28
Durant Cty I-72 SCHDISTGENERAL 35.49 $92.98
Durant Cty I-72 SCHDISTSINKING 16.95 $44.40
Durant Cty I-72 VOTECHBUILDING 2.04 $5.34
Durant Cty I-72 VOTECHGENERAL 10.22 $26.77

School district name will vary--it may say rural, meaning it is not in city limits, etc. But first column is always the school district in which this particular piece of property is located. Second column names the entity/fund to which the money is going: 

  • COUNTY4MILL is a 4 mill levy collected on each tract, then redistributed to each school district in the county according to their average daily attendance (ada).
  • COUNTY GENERAL is the general operating fund of bryan county government--this does not include any money for road work.
  • COUNTY HEALTH is a levy voted in by the people to help establish and fund the county health department.
  • EMS is a levy voted in by the people to help establish and fund the bryan county ambulance authority.
  • SCHDISTBULDING is the building fund for the school district named in the first column.
  • SCHDISTGENERAL is the general operating fund for the school district named in the first column.
  • SCHDISTSINKING is a fund that accumulates money to pay off the bonds that have been voted on by the people in that district.
  • VOTECHBUILDING is the building fund for kiamichi career tech center.
  • VOTECHGENERAL is the general operating fund for kiamichi career tech center.